Friday 14 December 2012

Does celebrities contributing in promoting the idea of being plus size?



Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine: Stop fat-shaming Christina Aguilera

Through some reading on newspaper, watching news on TV, i just realised that there are actually quite a few celebrities who are quite plus size, some of them originally are but some used to be skinny.

Celebrity singer like Christina Aguilera, the small-boned, 5-foot-2 has gained so much more weight in 2010 after splitting from musiz executive husband Jordan Bratman.

Regardless of some nasty, fat-shaming comments about her body, Christina has insisted that sex appeal is about self-confidence rather than being a certain size.

"I happen to be very confident in my own skin," she said. "It takes time to get to that place, but it's all about embracing yourself and your body.


“The challenge I’ve always had is being too thin, so I love that now I have a booty, and obviously I love showing my cleavage. If you can work it and you can own it, that confidence is going to shine through [regardless of your size].

Source:

Chang, S. (2012) Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine: Stop fat-shaming Christina Aguilera. Retrieved on 14 December 2012 from http://www.examiner.com/article/maroon-5-singer-adam-levine-stop-picking-on-christina-aguilera-s-weight-gain?CID=obinsite



Lady Gaga is fat (Photos)

Another celebrity singer would be the famous pop singer, Lady Gaga, whom recently have been putting on weight as well. 

“I love eating pasta and pizza. I'm a New York Italian girl. That's why I have been staying out of New York. My father opened a restaurant. It's so amazing . . . it's so freaking delicious, but I'm telling you I gain five pounds every time I go in there. So my dad wants me to eat at the restaurant, and I'm, like, I've got to go where I can drink green juice."
Although she states she doesn’t care, she has been careful to cover herself up when going outside in public and adds she is now dieting. Seems like she cares.
“You know, I really don't feel bad about it, not even for a second. I have to be on such a strict diet constantly. It's hard because it's a quite vigorous show, so I tend to bulk up, get muscular, and I really don't like that. So I'm trying to find a new balance."


Source: 

Chelsea-Seifert, R. (2012) Lady Gaga is fat (Photos). Retrieved from 14 December 2012 from  http://www.examiner.com/article/lady-gaga-is-fat



Kim Kardashian: I've always accepted my curvy body (Photos)



Kim Kardashian is another example of plus size celebrities.


"I've always accepted my body," Kardashian says in the November 2011 issue of InStyleSouth Africa. "If you don't have fun and go with it, you'd be miserable, always trying to change into something you're not."
Kim is 5'2'' whose weight is fluctuating in between 109 and 129 pounds. She admitted that she was not always happy with her oversized butt and ample breast.
She used to be teased by her sister, Kourtney for having big and ugly breast. 

'Your boobs are so big and ugly!' She was so mean and then I would have to wear a bra and she would say, 'Who wears a bra? That's so disgusting.' It was so embarrassing."



She was also being called a "fat donkey" by former Miss USA Shanna Moakler even her former BFF Paris Hilton's snarky comments that Kim's butt was "disgusting," and looked like "cottage cheese stuffed in a garbage bag."
However, Kim's uniquely voluptuous looks have spawned a multi-million-dollar empire that includes four hit reality tv shows, exercise DVDsdiet pills, fashion boutiques in New York, Miami and Los Angeles, a clothing line, jewelry and handbag collections, fragrances and her own makeup line.



Source: 
Chang,S (2011) Kardashian: I've always accepted my curvy body (Photos). Retrieved on 14 December 2012 from http://www.examiner.com/article/kim-kardashian-i-ve-always-accepted-my-curvy-body


Personal opinion: Indeed, with the famous fashion icon or pop star portraying voluptuous body and even giving positive review about their own body. I believe this has somehow indirectly giving a confident boost for the plus size people. However, in a long run it might encourage them to be fat and forgetting the fact that it might threaten their body health.

No comments:

Post a Comment